Thursday, September 11, 2014

Zoey's US History Film Essay

Zoey Davis
Film Essay
H Block
I Pledge

            Learning about slavery has always been an interesting topic for me, but I never truly understood the visuals of slavery until my US History teacher showed my class two, very historically accurate films representing the reality of slavery.  To show us visuals of historically accurate slavery remakes, she played “Glory (1989)” directed by Edward Zwick and “12 years a Slave” directed by Steve McQueen. These two films have proven to me the harshness and reality that was slavery, and these films in no way, “sugarcoated” slavery. These two films show the harsh reality of what slavery truly was in America, which caused me to rethink my position on slavery.
            When telling a historic story through a film, the filmmaker comes across a problem. Filmmakers have to do research to make their films historically accurate and true. “12 Years a Slave” follows a story of a free black man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery. According to History Extra, Steve McQueen, the director of “12 Years a Slave” said, “People want this realism […] It’s not about sugarcoating it. We’re here to do something we feel is necessary.” Steve McQueen’s wife introduced him to the memoir of Solomon Northrup, and something internally struck him, that he needed to tell Solomon Northrup’s story to the world.” According to the New York Times review of “12 Years a Slave,” McQueen wanted to immerse people into the visuals of slavery. McQueen wanted to tell the story as accurately and efficiently as possible to honor Solomon Northrup and his family. Chiewetel Ejiofor, who played Solomon Northrup in Steve McQueen’s “12 Years a Slave,” said “To not show it as explicitly as we can would, I think, be a disservice to Northrup and his family. What’s the point in telling the story if we couldn’t tell the story?” Not only did McQueen want to convey the story of Solomon Northrup as accurately as possible, so did the cast. Dr. Emily West, a critic for the New York Times stated, “I have never seen a film represent slavery so accurately.” In the story of “12 years a Slave,” historical accuracy is represented all the way down to the minor details such as, the scars on the backs of most enslaved people in a tree formation from being whipped, all the way to the harsh reality of being sold into slavery. In this film, a scene that primarily stuck out to me, was a scene where they were auctioning off their new slaves, and had them stripped naked so slave owners could check for the “quality” of their new piece of property.
            The film “Glory (1989)” follows the story of the black regiment of the Massachusetts 54th fighting in the battle of Antietam and their journey along the way. I believe this film taught me a lot about slavery because it showed the harsh realities of the dangers in racism. This film showed me that black regiments were treated unfairly and not given good conditions to thrive in. According to history online, the director of the film “Glory (1989),” Edward Zwick said “The story appealed to me, and I was lucky to do it. I did it because I felt it needed to be told.” As well as the story of “12 Years a Slave” the film “Glory (1989)” told the story in the most efficient way possible by “acknowledging the sorrow” rather than sugarcoating history. The film “Glory (1989)” focused on the complexity of racism and the distinct characteristics of the black regiment. In my opinion, this film was also successful because of the compassion shown by colonel Shaw. In fact, according to the New York Times, this film used actual letters from the colonel and were read verbatim. I believe “Glory” was as successful as it was, because it acknowledged the colored soldiers as people, and told us their story. By letting the audience engaged in the lives of this black regiment, Edward Zwick made the film mean so much more to me. The New York Times review of “Glory (1989)” claimed, “Glory is historical fiction, but all claims made are accurate.”
            The historical accuracy of both films my old US History teacher showed me, helps me not only learn about slavery but I am now able to visualize the sorrows of slavery. These two films have made me reach a new level on which I sympathize for slavery in the United States. Before I came across these two films, slavery was just another piece of history I had to memorize, but now it has become personal. Although these films do not have the actual characters that went through these events, it conveys the information to me in a way that I will obtain and memorize, but also in a way that entertains me. Both directors of these films faced challenged in conveying their stories in an accurate way, but both pulled it off phenomenally. I think it is important to learn through films that are historically accurate, because films help students understand topics in a deeper way. By watching films on history topics, as a student, I am able to visualize the topic I am studying which keeps me interested and more invested in what I am studying.  




Sources, Film Research- Glory & 12 Years a Slave









            

No comments:

Post a Comment